Objectives of benefit sharing
Suggestion 1: Nagoya Article 1
The objective of this section is to ensure the fair and equitable sharing of the benefits arising from the utilization of genetic resources, including by appropriate access to genetic resources and by appropriate transfer of relevant technologies, taking into account all rights over those resources and to technologies, and by appropriate funding, thereby contributing to the conservation of marine biological diversity and the sustainable use of its components in areas beyond national jurisdiction.
References: Nagoya Protocol Article 1.
Suggestion 2: List of objectives
The objectives of a benefit sharing mechanism include advancing science and nature conservation through, inter alia,
- Open access to raw data and samples;
- Enhanced international research coordination and cooperation;
- Targeted training and sharing of expertise, methodology, guidelines and best practices;
- Standardized data management, taxonomy and species identification;
- Marine spatial planning in ABNJ, including protected areas;
- Ecosystem-based management; and
- Development of marine conservation policies.
- Principles and approaches guiding benefit-sharing
- Benefits of genetic resources
- Benefit-sharing modalities
- Scope - Marine Genetic Resources, including benefit sharing
- Access and Benefit Sharing of Marine Genetic Resources
- Monitoring of the utilization of marine genetic resources of areas beyond national jurisdiction
- Clearing-house mechanism for Marine Genetic Resources
- Capacity building and transfer of marine technology for Marine Genetic Resources