- 1 Suggestion 1: New clearing house for implementing agreement, or international network of clearing houses
- 2 Suggestion 2: Build on existing institutions
- 3 Suggestion 3: Promote exchange of information and data
- 4 Suggestion 4: Provide access to information in order to make it available to stakeholders
- 5 Suggestion 5: Possible functions of the clearing-house mechanism
- 6 Suggestion 6: Create a new ABS-specific clearing house and/or international network of clearing-houses
- 7 Also see:
Suggestion 1: New clearing house for implementing agreement, or international network of clearing houses[edit | edit source]
A Clearing-House mechanism could be established to assist Parties to implement the agreement by:
- providing a platform for coordination
- promoting capacity building
- providing access to information made publicly available relevant to the implementation of the agreement
Suggestion 2: Build on existing institutions[edit | edit source]
Expand mandate of International Seabed Authority or other existing institutions to support information sharing with respect to the agreement and opportunities for collaboration between States.
Suggestion 3: Promote exchange of information and data[edit | edit source]
Exchange of information and data would be promoted between States as well as relevant regional, sectoral and global organizations (similar to article 17 of CBD). References: CBD Art 17
Suggestion 4: Provide access to information in order to make it available to stakeholders[edit | edit source]
Suggestions for providing access to information:
- Provide clear information and establishing principles to allow meeting papers, meeting reports, decisions, annual reports and results of any performance monitoring of the organization to be made available in a timely manner to Parties, civil society and outside institution.
- Include in the instrument an article on transparency, taking a similar approach as in article 18 of the Convention on the Conservation and Management of High Seas Resources of the South Pacific Ocean. Alternatively, requirements to promote/ensure transparency could be integrated throughout the instrument.
- Call for States and subregional or regional biological diversity management organizations and arrangements to give due publicity to conservation and sustainable management measures and ensure that laws, regulations and other legal rules governing their implementation would be effectively disseminated.
Suggestion 5: Possible functions of the clearing-house mechanism[edit | edit source]
- Promoting and facilitating the sharing of information, knowledge and data.
- Promoting and facilitating technical and scientific cooperation.
- Maintaining a network of experts and practitioners among Parties and partners.
- Gathering information on: Marine genetic resources and the data deposited by entities that obtain permits to access said resources; Benefit-sharing in its monetary and non-monetary forms,possibly including payments and financial resources; Scientific data regarding Area-Based Management Tools and Environmental Impact Assessment, as well as follow-up reports and related decisions taken by competent bodies; Capacity-building and transfer of marine technology opportunities and offers.
- Linking to regional and national clearing-house mechanisms.
Suggestion 6: Create a new ABS-specific clearing house and/or international network of clearing-houses[edit | edit source]
Establish a new ABS Clearing House to serve as a means for making available any ABS monitoring and compliance related information required by this agreement.