Talk:Capacity-building and transfer of marine technology
From Chair’s streamlined non-paper on elements of a draft text of the ILBI at PrepCom 4
1. The instrument could define general obligations in promoting cooperation to develop capacity and transfer of marine technology, including in the following manner:
- Option 1: Capacity-building and transfer of marine technology are cross cutting issues and affect all the other issues in the package deal, and thus would be mainstreamed into the other sections of the instrument.
- Option 2: A dedicated section would be included which would focus on the various elements with links to the other sections.
2. Capacity-building and technology transfer provisions would be coherent with and enhance the implementation of or operationalize existing provisions on capacity-building and transfer of marine technology of UNCLOS and other international agreements.
3. The instrument could include provisions with reference to the following:
- UNCLOS, Part XIV.
- CBD, article 18.1.
- Criteria and Guidelines on the transfer of marine technology of the Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commission (IOC) of UNESCO.
- Small Island Developing States Accelerated Modalities of Action (SAMOA) Pathway (paras. 102 and 111).
- Stockholm Convention on Persistent Organic Pollutants, articles 11 and 12, paras. 1 and 2.
- Minamata Convention on Mercury, article 14.1.
- Istanbul Programme of Action for the Least Developed Countries for the Decade 2011-2020 (IPoA).